Re: [isabelle] RC3 startup problem on Scientific Linux

On 5/22/12, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012, Bill Richter wrote:
>
>>   Which version of Scientific Linux do you have?
>>
>> I don't know how to figure that out.  I tried this:
>>
>> (poisson)richter> uname -a
>> Linux poisson.math.northwestern.edu 2.6.32-220.4.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon
>> Jan 23 17:20:44 CST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Does that say SL version 2.6?
>>
>>   Which version of libc is it?  E.g. what is the symlink:
>>   /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.11.1.so  # Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>
> 2.6 is the Linux kernel version.  From the date it is probably SL 5.x,

el6 in the uname command tells that it's a SL 6.x variant. To know the
exact version is to:

cat /etc/issue

Judging by the kernel version it is probably 6.1.

> see
> also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux
>
> Anyway, I have convinced myself that there is nothing special about
> Scientific Linux, it is just another RHEL derivative.  Current 6.2 works
> out of the box with Isabelle2012-RC3.
>
> Note that Wikipedia has this laconic comment on SL:
>
>    The name Scientific Linux is actually a misnomer, in that it does not
>    contain scientific software and was named instead for the labs that make
>    it.

They did actually package the lab needs specific stuff in the past for
the scientific
software, but that's gone into the extra/external repos, like EPEL,
etc. CERN also
has a its own sub version. Pure SL is indeed an RHEL clone.

I also confirm Isabelle 2012 RC3 works well on SL 6.2 32 bit in this case.

--
Serguei Mokhov
http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~mokhov