Re: [isabelle] Simpler theorem statements, and proofs for them [Re: Started auction theory toolbox; announcement, next steps, and questions]

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Lars Noschinski wrote:

On 22.11.2012 18:41, Florian Haftmann wrote:
(In contrast HOL -->  and ! are old-fashioned/cumbersome, where Pure
==>  and !! would do the job better.)

Is there actually a drawback when using == instead of = or is it a mere
matter of style? I like using Pure equality because it saves me a level
of parentheses when I have a binder on the right hand side.

It is simpler:

a) Uniformity
b) Less symbols

Ok, these are stylistic reasons and both only hold when always using =, and not <-> (<-> can be used for all of definition, primrec, fun(ction), but only for boolean valued functions. And I don't like it for definitions anyway ;)).

Recall that 'definition', 'primrec', 'fun', 'function' are all the same category of "derived definitional concept", although of different strength and power invested in the mechanisms behind it.