Re: [isabelle] Isabelle Jedit and OpenJDK

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

 For Ubuntu 12.04 should I expect Isabelle2012 Jedit to run on Java
provided with openjdk-7-jre package? Or do I have to install Oracle's Java?

the download bundle from isabelle.in.tum.de contains a suitable JDK on
its own.  There should be no need for a separate JDK.

Even worse, arbitrary JDKs found in the wild are considered harmful. There are just too many things that can go wrong when selecting a JVM and making a package of it. The jEdit community does not even support OpenJDK officially, although its 1.7 version is now much better than OpenJDK 1.6.

For Isabelle2012, you actually need Java 1.6, not Java 1.7. This will change for the next Isabelle release, when everything will work uniformly on a Java 1.7 from Oracle, on all platforms and without any free parameters.