Re: [isabelle] Free variables aren't quantified, it's that simple (by all appearances)

On 9/14/2012 6:13 PM, Alfio Martini wrote:
So, they do not get quantified, but they have the same "denotation" (that is to say, they are equivalent under all interpretations.)

Alfio,

To try and summarize it, for you "they" are the formulas with free variables that get proved. I'm going to label these propositions that you're talking about as tautologies. They have the same denotation as some quantified formula.

For me, "they" are the formulas with free variables which have no definite truth value, like the (3) that I gave as an example. For these formulas, there is not an equivalent quantified formula.

You're focusing on the free variable formulas that can be proved, and their equivalency to a quantified formula.

I'm focusing on the free variable formulas that can't be proved, and which don't have an equivalency to a quantified formula.

I think that's the way it is.

Regards,
GB