[isabelle] Difficult to reproduce bug hanging Isabelle in jEdit session

Hi,

here at Karlsruhe we are offering a practical Course on Isabelle which
began last week and we were badly surprised that Isabelle/jEdit 2013 had
severe issues on the machines in the student’s pool room: A short while
into editing the highlighting (errors and the light blue) and the output
window are no longer updated.

We could reproduce it most easily by writing, say,
        theory Scratch imports Main begin lemma "foobar"
and then changing "lemma" to "le mma" and back in very rapid succession.

The machines in question are Fedora 18 systems, 64 bit, 4GB RAM, no swap
and the file systems on NFS. We also reproduced it on machines with more
RAM and on machien with the 32 bit libraries installed in addition. We
cannot reproduce it on our own workstations, though.

It seems it is happening more easily on slower machine. Maybe some race
condition?

We are at a loss here – any idea how to get it working more reliable?

Thanks,
Joachim

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
http://pp.ipd.kit.edu/~breitner