Re: [isabelle] bit vs. bool in HOL-Word

I created Library/Bit.thy in February 2009 as a theory of the field of
integers mod 2. One motivation was to be able to have polynomials with
integers mod 2 as coefficients, which have applications in
cryptography. (I had also been working on Library/Polynomial.thy
around the same time.) As a field, it is possible to use type "bit"
with polynomial operations like div, mod, and gcd.

The connections between Bit.thy and the ancient numeral representation
using _ BIT _ are accidental (see rev. 8e33b9d04a82); it is just a
coincidence that the new type is also named "bit". The other uses of
Bit.thy in HOL-Word are also likely due to my choice of the name of
the type "bit" more than anything else. Perhaps "Z2" or "z2" would
have been a better name for the new type; I just thought that an
English word would fit better with Isabelle's naming conventions.

In summary: I never meant for Library/Bit.thy to have any connection
whatsoever to HOL-Word; I'd be in favor of converting HOL-Word to use
type bool instead. Also, I'm open to renaming Library/Bit.thy to more
accurately describe its contents and intended use.

- Brian