Re: [isabelle] frequent jEdit crash (Mac OS10.8.4; Isabelle 2013)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

I think this is a general problem of the JVM on Macs. I frequently get it when I close the lid of my Mac and reopen it...

We should try to collect and pin down such incidents.

I occasionally get something like that on a "cold start", e.g. when using my MacBook Pro for presentations (when it runs Mac OS X and not Ubuntu) and starts the JVM for the first time. This makes a 50% chance of core dump of bin/java. When giving the Isabelle tutorial at Edinburgh this May, where Leo was also present, I had several such "crashes on stage".

Oracle and Apple are to blame, but we should try to find workarounds.

Lets first see what the more drastic crash that Leo has encountered tells us about these raw industrial materials.