Re: [isabelle] frequent jEdit crash (Mac OS10.8.4; Isabelle 2013)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013, Leo Freitas wrote:

I am getting a frequent crash of Isabelle/jEdit with the following error

"
/Applications/Isabelle2013.app
/Contents/Resources/Isabelle2013/lib/Tools/java: line 1:
 375 Trace/BPT trap: 5

 "$ISABELLE_JDK_HOME/bin/$PRG" "$@"

Return code: 133
"

Just one speculative idea, before we walk through your crash logs.

Isabelle2013/lib/Tools/java invokes the "java" executable with option "-server" to make the code faster over time. This quite aggressive just-in-time compilation might interfere with normal running of the code -- it somehow conforms to the observations about "cold-start problems" that I have described on this thread already.

So removing the "-server" mode or saying "-client" explicitly might make a difference in robustness, at the cost of some runtime performance.