Re: [isabelle] Stray processes on Windows

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013, Makarius wrote:

Lots of poly.exe's get called. With Isabelle2012 (or Isabelle2011-1), something like eprover.exe would be left running sometimes, but I don't think I've seen that lately.

I still do see stray eprover processes, also on Unix platforms. This is probably a remaining problem of Stephan Schulz.

This should be resolved in Isabelle2013-2-RC3 -- I won't blame Stephan Schulz again for his creative signal handlers in the C code of E Prover.

As long as you stay within Isabelle/jEdit, external processes should be terminated eventually. When you close the Windows application while the prover process is really busy with external loads, there is the old danger of dangling tail ends of such processes.

What is missing here for future releases: a proper PIDE application shutdown phase that notiates with the prover process via the PIDE protocol, not crude POSIX signals.