Re: [isabelle] Where to learn about HOL vs FOL?

I'm adding this one:

“What does one need, when she needs higher‑order logic”?
http://jarda.peregrin.cz/mybibl/PDFTxt/484.pdf

It's about cases where a translation from second/higher order to first order is possible; which may be seen as a way to get a strict identification of what's unique to orders above the first.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to read (at least to me), as it refers to example predicates which seems to be defined elsewhere.