Re: [isabelle] Where to learn about HOL vs FOL?

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013, Alfio Martini wrote:

Adding to Gottfried´s selected readings, I strongly recommend the highly
readable

"The Seven Virtues of Simple Type Theory' by William Farmer (Journal of
Applied Logic 6, 2008.

This is indeed a very nice overview, I need to study this further.

Particularly notable is Theorem 11 / Virtue 6 about the completeness of HOL, which goes back to Henkin 1950, published shortly after the famous Church 1940 paper.

More than 60 years after it, there are still occasional rumors about HOL being incomplete. Farmer gives some nice explanations about the overall situation.