Re: [isabelle] Where to learn about HOL vs FOL?

I think it can get quite confusing because different people use the same
names for different things, and different names for the same things, and
sometimes the same people do this too!

"HOL" can mean "higher-order logic" (referring to one or more of various
logics that are higher-order), or it can mean "the HOL logic" (Mike Gordon's
particular higher-order logic, implemented by HOL4, Isabelle/HOL, HOL Light,
ProofPower and HOL Zero).  Other theorem provers such as Coq, PVS and IMPS
implement other higher-order logics.  So the logic described in the HOL4
logic manual really is the same as HOL Light's, etc, the only difference
being that they are built up in different ways (i.e. they start with a
different initial set of axioms and primitive inference rules, but these
axiomatisations are just different ways of defining the same logic).

Does that clear anything up?

Mark.