On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Christian Sternagel wrote:

On 02/07/2013 11:36 PM, Makarius wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Christian Sternagel wrote:

On 02/07/2013 09:51 PM, Makarius wrote:
   * Everybody: please check if you can scale the Isabelle/jEdit
font-size
     up and down like in Firefox (C-PLUS/MINUS or C-ADD/SUBTRACT on the
     keypad).
For me, Linux (Fedora 18) with us layout C-PLUS does not work (which
would actually be C-S-=), with ge layout both works fine (but then
again, there is no modifier S involved).

"Or" in my statement above usually means exclusive-or.  On US keyboard,
you need the keypad or remap the non-keypad keys.
I deliberately bought a laptop that does not have a keypad (not even function-key emulation), since I never needed it, and then the other keys have more space ;). (And this laptop is my main machine.)

What do you mean by "remap the non-keypad keys"? That I should use C-= for font increase? (Which would be just fine.)

Yes, you use the normal jEdit Options panel for keyboard shortcuts, and press the respective keys.

So C-PLUS becomes C-= on UK/US/French keyboard on Windows and Linux, while on Mac OS it becomes C-= C-= C-= (with this odd triplication due to Oracle or Apple). Likewise, C-MINUS becomes C-6 on French keyboard.

To regain a little bit of sanity, the defaults for Isabelle2013-RC3 at least *look* right, and often *are* right, but not always. I will put this issue on the list of running gags, or rather bad jokes.

What I'm missing, though, is a way to go back to the default font-size (like C-0 in firefox), I also did not find such a thing in the menus. (When I change the font-size via C-foo C-bla and then close jEdit, will it have the same degree of magnification when I start it again? If so, C-0 would even be more relevant.)

jEdit does not support this model. So it is not really Firefox-style font scaling, but just a shortcut to edit jEdit font properties via keystrokes.

Generally, I try not to avoid invading and assimilating too much of jEdit. Going beyond that would mean much more engagement into the jEdit project itself. After the Isabelle2013 release, I will again submit some patches to some of their trackers, but it usually takes long to get attention there.

Submitting problem reports to Oracle is yet another problem to be tackled at some point. Anybody who feels like getting active is encouraged to do so. The strange tribble C-= C-= C-= is a good starting point, it can be reproduced with the KeyEventDemo from http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/events/keylistener.html in JDK 7u13, for example.