On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:

“Use fractional font metrics” option, and set anti‑aliasing to “standard”.

Anti‑aliasing to “standard” should already be the default -- it normally works well across platforms with the exception of remote X11, but hardly anybody does that now.

In contrast, "Fractional font metrics" turns out a *trap* on most platforms that I have seen: it makes the font look blurry and bad. In the early years of Isabelle/jEdit, I had spent a long time figuring out where the problem was coming from, but did not manage to convince the jEdit guys to be more explicit in its explanation.