On Sat, 9 Feb 2013, Gottfried Barrow wrote:

After the info window popped up this time, the output panel quit printing any proof goal information. That was occasionally happening with RC2, but, as I remember, the output panel stilled worked in the view I wasn't working in, because the good view was what I would use to make an A/B comparison to make sure it wasn't something simple I was doing wrong.

This time, I had to close one view, open up a new view from the view still open, and then open up a second view again.

The observation is correct that every jEdit "view" has a separate collection of "dockables" associated with it. The Output panel is one such dockable. After some incident on the Java VM it could crash, so that it no longer updates its window content. A fresh copy can be made via a fresh view as sketched above, or just via "undock" and restart of the dockable via the Plugins / Isabelle menu.

Actually, I can't say without a doubt that the output panel quits working when the info window pops up, because when I'm typing a lot, I usually haven't been looking for output from the output panel.

You could try to capture a Java VM exception trace next time, and show it to me. I normally capture Java VM error output from the terminal, which would mean Cygwin-Terminal for you and the command "isabelle jedit".

Alternatively, you can try the jEdit menu "Utilities / Troubleshooting / Activity Log". That log should contain major failures of the running JVM process -- jEdit has some command line options to moderate this a bit.