Re: [isabelle] extending well-founded partial orders to total well-founded orders

Hi Larry,

As far as I understand your suggestion, it does not even yield a ordering. For example, suppose that there are three elements a, b, c such that the well ordering <R obtained by the well-ordering theorems orders them as a <R b <R c. Now, consider the well-founded relation <W which orders c <W a and nothing else. Then, c <TO a as c<W a, and a <TO b and b <TO c as neither a <W b, b <W a, b <W c, nor c <W b. Hence,

c <TO a <TO b <TO c

which violates the ordering properties. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Andreas