Re: [isabelle] Suggesting to add common isabelle user questions to the wiki

Dear Cornelius (and all),

As indicated, for example, here

https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2013-February/003867.html

and here

https://lists.cam.ac.uk/pipermail/cl-isabelle-users/2013-February/msg00257.html

the status of

  https://isabelle.in.tum.de/community

is currently a bit unclear.

Nevertheless some comments:

On 02/26/2013 12:45 AM, C. Diekmann wrote:
if I have a common problem, in many programming languages the problem
can be solved by typing it into google. Unfortunately, this isn't the
case with isabelle. Therefore, I suggest to collect common isabelle
user question in the wiki, such that they can be indexed by google. As
an example, I created two pages with such problems.

The Isabelle mailing lists are also indexed by search engines like google, a more common problem is that either the question was not asked at all (after all, the group of Isabelle users is by far smaller as for popular programming languages), or it has been formulated in a way that it does not match your search.

https://isabelle.in.tum.de/community/Category:Tips_and_Tricks

As far as I see, this page is not reachable from the Main_Page of the wiki. Moreover, there is already a topic "Tips and Tricks" on the Main_Page.

I think many answers for "frequently" asked questions are already part of Isabelle's documentation. The main problem, as you found out, is that this is not easily accessible via internet search (and most users seem not eager to read documentation PDFs ;) ).

I think, instead of duplicating answers (which will often be outdated very soon if they are not part of the official documentation), we need to find a way to make the existing documentation more accessible.

Also the status of the current "community wiki" should be clarified at some point. As long as it is not endorsed by all of the official project leaders, it is not clear whether it is worth contributing there.

Even if the wiki stays, currently it does not feel like its intended audience is isabelle users (which is partly my fault, sorry), rather isabelle developers. I think mostly because there are much more quasi-developers discussing about Isabelle than users (I don't know why).

cheers

chris