Re: [isabelle] Isabelle Community (was "stackexchange.com use for proof assistants and related software")

Hi,

Can I just add my two cents on the {mailing-list/stack-exchange/wiki}-issue?

I have often thought that it would be quite nice to move Isabelle support from the mailing-list to something like Stack Exchange (SE), so I am pleased to hear it being discussed as a possibility.

1. SE pages (e.g. [1]) are a pleasure to read (and I reckon that's a big factor behind the success of SE). In contrast, the Isabelle Wiki [2], to my mind, looks out-of-date and unappealing. Also, compared to the mailing-list, code snippets in SE can be formatted as code snippets, and math symbols can be formatted properly too.

2. I think SE might be less intimidating to beginners. Maybe it's just me, but I think the idea of sending a newbie question to any mailing-list, knowing that it will appear in hundreds of people's inboxes, is significantly scarier than just posting it on a website (yes, even if those same people subscribe to the website's feed).

3. The ability to edit questions and answers would be quite useful. Among other benefits, questions can be later tagged with keywords, making them more likely to show up in Google searches.

4. The reputation system might be quite fun.

As Gottfried has pointed out, the SE idea would only work if *all* the support migrates over from the mailing-list. This would be quite a radical change, and as Chris says, the mailing-list does generally work very well.

A lightweight way to implement this change would be just to start asking and answering Isabelle questions on Stack Overflow, e.g. here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/isabelle

Alternatively, one could propose a dedicated Isabelle SE site, e.g.:
http://isabelle.stackexchange.com/

cheers,
John

--