[isabelle] Supporting native Unicode input in Isabelle/jEdit

Dear Isabelle community,

in a private conversation with Makarius I had asked the following
question, which I should rather share on this list:

I wonder why Isabelle/jEdit does not support native Unicode input, but
only uses Unicode for display?  Are there historical reasons, or is it a
deliberate design choice?  Nowadays, where Unicode is widely supported,
there are ways of directly entering a wide range of characters.  I
mapped, e.g., “ ” … – on keys of my keyboard, which is why I'm also
using them in LaTeX.  Some people go further; consider e.g. the Neo
keyboard layout http://www.neo-layout.org/ (for English see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_keyboard_layout#Neo), which even has a
plane for mathematical symbols.

Cheers,

Christoph

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701

→ SePublica Workshop @ ESWC 2013.  Montpellier, France, 26-30 May.
  Deadline 4 Mar; http://sepublica.mywikipaper.org
→ Intelligent Computer Mathematics, 7–12 Jul, Bath, UK; Deadline 8 Mar
  http://cicm-conference.org/2013/
→ Enabling Domain Experts to use Formalised Reasoning @ AISB 2013
  3–5 April 2013, Exeter, UK.  3 Hands-on Tutorials on Economics
  http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/events/aisb2013/