Re: [isabelle] Trying to use "datatype" to restrict types of formulas used, getting error

Dear Gottfried,

I still did not quite get the meaning of the sT type. If I understand you correctly, you use the values over which a variable ranges (what you call "mapped to") also for the names of the variables.

Anyway, let's look at your issue with the value command. This command use various evaluation strategies with Isabelle's code generator being the default (and usually the fastest). Now, the definition of sFOLf1 for Eq uses HOL equality on the right-hand side for the type sT:
  "sFOLf1 E (Eq x y) = (E x = E y)"
However, you have not told Isabelle how to compute equality on type sT, which is done as an instance of the type class equal.

The enum sort constraint comes from using the ! quantifier over sT in
  "sFOLf2 E (Forall x f) = (!v. sFOLf2 (E(x := v)) f)"
By default, ! is implemented to enumerate all values for v and test for each whether the predicate holds. Again, Isabelle does not know how to enumerate all values of type sT. You can do so by instantiating the type class enum.

Best,
Andreas