On Sun, 20 Jan 2013, Alfio Martini wrote:

I had no problem in installing and using the leaked version from January
the 11th.

IIRC, that version was bypassing the Cygwin init script accidentally.

But I could not successfully install this RC. After the unpacking of files, it opens the command prompt windows and stays forever "initializing Cygwin".

See Isabelle2013-RC1\contrib\cygwin\isabelle\init.bat what is happening here. You should be able to see where it hangs by editing the two shell invocations in that file like this:

  "bin\dash" -x /isabelle/rebaseall
  "bin\bash" -x /isabelle/postinstall

The -x option produces a trace. If you show me the result we can continue guessing.

You can try again by opening a Windows command interpreter (cmd.com) and execute the batch file Isabelle2013-RC1\contrib\cygwin\isabelle\init.bat