[isabelle] Using ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS in Isabelle 2013

Hi all,

Section 3.3 of the Isabelle System Manual [0] indicates that you can use
the environment variable ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS to pass extra -o
arguments to `isabelle build`. I can't get this to work and passing -v
to `isabelle build` confirms that ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS is blank.
Furthermore I get the following behaviour:

On Isabelle 2012:
 $ ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS=foo isabelle getenv ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS
 ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS=foo

On Isabelle 2013:
 $ ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS=foo isabelle getenv ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS
 ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS=

It looks to me as if Isabelle 2013 is cleaning this variable. Am I doing
something wrong? How is ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS supposed to be used?

Thanks,
Matthew

[0] docs/system.pdf