Re: [isabelle] LaTeXsugar

I agree that this convention is unfortunate, but you find it not infrequently in
math. Here is another example (from the web, admittedly):

A sequence with terms a_n may also be referred to as "{a_n}", but contrary to
what you may have learned in other contexts, this "set" is actually an ordered
list, not an unordered collection of elements. (Your book may use some notation
other than what I'm showing here. Unfortunately, notation doesn't yet seem to
have been entirely standardized for this topic.)

Tobias