Re: [isabelle] Unable to prove easy existential "directly"

Hallo,

the behaviour of "rule" in the presence of premises is something that I
have not and will probably never understand.

You can replace the ".." with a "by (rule_tac exI)" or a "by (intro
exI)" and that works fine. Personally, I usually prefer the good old "by
blast" in these cases. Another thing that would work is "from exI[OF
this] show "∃b.(P b)" ."

As for the reason that rule fails here but rule_tac works, that is
something from the depths of the internals of Isabelle that are far
outside my area of expertise.

Cheers,
Manuel