Re: [isabelle] syntax highlighting on stackoverflow

On 3/12/2013 10:30 PM, Christian Sternagel wrote:

1) Encourage people to have a look at stackoverflow (others already indicated how one can subscribe, e.g., to a news feed for the isabelle posts).

Is there a certain encoding to be used, or are posters entering information with a non-standard encoding? I've tried "Western (ISO-8859-1)" and "Unicode (UTF-8)" in Chrome, but it doesn't make a difference. I see boxes with a question mark in this question, and in lots of other questions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15332271/drop-a-variable-in-a-goal-in-apply-style

Are there additional tags to see the comments and answers for this tag?

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/isabelle

I can subscribe to a feed for a particular question, which is not what I want to do.

What I'm doing is subscribing to the feed for many of the people who are showing up, with a tag like this:

    http://stackoverflow.com/users/476803/chris

Doing that is pretty ridiculous because it requires that I see everything they do on the site. But polling and scanning questions to try and find new information would be more ridiculous. Nothing much is ever perfect.

More imperfection.

Rather than implement LaTeX on stackoverflow as it's done on other sites, certain people tell you how to properly think about the matter.

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/4152/adding-support-for-math-notation
http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/30559/latex-in-stack-overflow
http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/4152/adding-support-for-math-notation#comment253822_60023
http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2011/04/stack-exchange-partners-with-mathjax/

If I had an account, I might have answered this question that I saw:

PS. Is it possible to get the nice symbols from Isabelle here too?

I was ready to answer, "Of course, just use LaTeX". But then I did some searches. I didn't find anything more current that what I linked to above.

Subject wise, Isabelle is closer to what's on math.stackexchange.com, which has LaTeX.

714 questions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/graph-theory
1920 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/graph-theory

25 questions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/type-theory
15 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/type-theory

504 questions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/combinatorics
4263 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/combinatorics

1984 questions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/logic
1877 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/logic

0 questions:
25 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/logic+axiom-of-choice

0 questions:
105 questions: http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/proof-theory

People can disregard all this. Perception is the limiting factor, culture determines perception, and the police on the different sites enforce the culture.

Regards,
GB