Re: [isabelle] syntax highlighting on stackoverflow

On 3/13/2013 9:53 AM, Makarius wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Gottfried Barrow wrote:

Subject wise, Isabelle is closer to what's on math.stackexchange.com, which has LaTeX.

I've already spent some time looking around several sites, just see my profile at SE. For the majority of technical questions around Isabelle, stackoverflow tag "isabelle" looks like the right place.

I suppose so. "Isabelle" has been vetted and accepted, which counts for a lot:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11336535/is-it-possible-to-not-import-any-theory-in-isabelle#comment14953722_11336535

On "Computer Science" and "Theoretical Computer Science" there are some more conceptual topics covered under "proof-assistants", for example. Someone made a "coq" tag there, but I found it odd and did not imitate it.

I find it more difficult to get into http://math.stackexchange.com, although its "logic" tag is a starting point.

Yea, so I guess it wouldn't be a good host. Some of the buzz words are the same, but the foundation and emphasis is different. They would be lacking on making contributions to the programming side of things, which is probably why I would partly feel more at home there.

But it represents what a good balance can be. It's diverse but not so diverse and large that going to the main page is near useless, and they tolerate questions from beginner to advanced. These sites are about community, and a single tag isn't a community. Also, there can't be any real cohesion for a group if the questions are spread out over four or five sites, and it takes more energy to keep track of all that than I want to put into it.

People can disregard all this. Perception is the limiting factor, culture determines perception, and the police on the different sites enforce the culture.

I am unsure what you mean by police. So far I found myself received rather well, e.g. I've earned several +2 points for brushing up some if the tag wikis.

The police are the majority of people who assert themselves. The police who act as tyrants are the admins and the in-crowd who vote to close questions which they're not qualified to vote on, and do so to protect their domain. When I see that happen, I become more interested in fighting the establishment.

I'm in no hurry to get an account to fight the man. Fighting the man is generally a losing proposition.

Regards,
GB