Re: [isabelle] Isabelle/jEdit: can anybody else reproduce

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Alfio Martini wrote:

This behaviour is nondeterministic (or it seems to be). It happens when I type very fast (which is rare). jEdit freezes and it helps to wait around 10 seconds or so for the system to unfreeze. Sometimes I kill the application and start it all over again.

OK, that sounds like the original problem that Christian Sternagel had observed on his Fedora Core Linux, before we started experimenting and diverged into problems with Linux/X11 window managers.

It is important to know that it is somehow a cross-platform problem, which might indicate some general issue introduced by Oracle in Java 7. I might come back to you in a couple of weeks/months when the first Java 8 developer test releases become available, to see if the issue persists.

I did not report it, because I am not sure if this is related to W7, jEdit or jEdit/Isabelle. I always blame the first. It is already folklore and acceptable to do so.

Times are changing. I am myself a classic Linux person with the traditional attitudes towards Windows. In the past 5 years, I've done a lot of cross-platform support for Isabelle, for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, which changed the perception a lot.

My attitudes towards any of these have become almost equally bad, with falling tendencies for the first two and rising tendencies for the last. Windows 7 and Windows 8 have caused relatively little worries to me compared to the others. The impression might be biased by fewer people testing very hard and critical.

Overall, I think we see a convergence of the stability and reliability of Isabelle on all three platforms, hopefully with a tendency epsilon > 0.