Re: [isabelle] Contributing some Q&A to StackOverflow; please help me to gain reputation

On 05/19/2013 06:43 PM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
Dear Christoph,

Am Samstag, den 18.05.2013, 23:29 +0100 schrieb Christoph LANGE:
StackOverflow is giving me, a first-time user, a hard time with this, as
I first need to gain some reputation in order to do such uncommon things
as making many posts in succession, answering my own questions, etc.
Could I therefore ask _you_ to give me some reputation?

I’m not sure that this is a good idea. The reputation system in
StackOverflow is designed to reward questions and answers that are
useful to others; if one has to explicitly ask for reputation then maybe
StackOverflow is not the right medium for that.

I agree with the above comment. However, I do not draw the same conclusion:

> Maybe your surly interesting advice would better be suited for a
> Isabelle style guide like document?

- In my opinion it is completely okay to ask and answer questions yourself (and indeed this is even encouraged in the faq of stackoverflow). (And no need to justify this as part of the question.)

- If your questions and answers are good, you will get reputation.

But generally you are right that StackExchange is becoming a good forum
to get Isabelle advise, and it would be good if more Isabelle users
would follow it and more liberally distribute upvotes to genuine
questions and useful answers.

Indeed, stackoverflow is better suited for certain kinds of questions than the mailing list, and I hope that it attracts more users over time. I don't see a need to be more liberal with upvotes ;) (those will come with more users).

cheers

chris