Re: [isabelle] Want to use Rep_Integ or lifting after [quot_del] in Int.thy

Larry,

I was going to let your email be the end, a decision which actually resulted in me culling out every point I thought about making, except for trying to make a point with your transportation analogy.

To summarize the point to begin with, so you don't have to actually read the analogy, it's just a variation of my past "Isabelle is awesome" statements.

So Isabelle/HOL is a Boeing airplane, though a special model that's configurable, and Haskell is a Ford car.

In regards to transportation, it appears not to make sense for a person to make anything but the broadest of generalizations when comparing the two.

That's because, Isabelle, being a Boeing airplane, is certainly a means of transportation, but the maintenance and fuel costs are extraordinary, and so on the surface, to point out that Haskell, a Ford car, hasn't implemented certain theoretical, engineering concepts when Isabelle has, can appear to be dumb, especially, because practically speaking, as far as transportation the advanced features are of no use.

However, the proper context is my use of the special, configurable Boeing airplane. It happens to be that I have almost no interest in traveling, I only care to theorize about traveling, in particular, theorizing about air travel.

At this time, I don't have the money to even have the Boeing started up, but then again, at this point, I only have a need to look at the Boeing, and take a few measurements for certain parts that aren't completely documented.

Now, I would hope that in several years, I'm doing something more than what has already been done in regards to theorizing about air travel, to the point to where I have a need to do more than just look at the airplane, but in two years time, manufacturing costs being what they are, there's some chance it will be affordable for me to pay some per minute charge to reconfigure the special Boeing, where simply reconfiguring it should answer some question I'll have.

So forth and so on. As times passes, what was once not affordable becomes affordable, in regards to testing my theories. The upside is that I may never have to resort to buying a Ford car, which is accessible to the masses, but still costs a lot of money, and is a waste if I don't have to do it.

And there's the possibility, if I can keep postponing the need for a Ford car, that at some point, the configurable Boeing has ceased to be leading edge technology, for near exclusive use by academics and researchers, but the costs have dropped so much that it has become commodity technology, and things have evolved for me to the where I now have a need to travel, but not simply on the ground, like with the Ford car, but in the air.

Do the designers intend for a person like me to use the Boeing in this way? Probably not. Most likely, the configurable Boeing is meant as an ends to a mean for professionals who work in the aerospace industry.

But instead of of using the configurable Boeing as an ends to a means, I use it as an ends in itself, and because it can be used like that, it's awesome.

Well, because I have no desire to ever work outside the realm of the configurable Boeing, certain vocabulary doesn't fit my use of the Boeing as good as it fits the designers use, but that idea is not to be pursued here.

Regards,
GB