Re: [isabelle] sledgehammer in RC4

Am 11.11.2013 12:34, schrieb Makarius:
> People who are still using Proof General should say more explicitly what
> are the reasons for it,

I think, I had put it in another mail already, but well:

- jEdit is SLOW, as in: There is a noticeable lag when moving from one
menu to the other per mouse (rendering also consumes 50% to 100% of one
CPU).

- Fonts are not antialiased. I found that setting some obscure
environment variable [1] made it work, but honestly: no AA by default is
a no-go.

- no switching of sessions (at least last time I checked)

- (obsolete: my WM fails to show jEdits dialogs. Just noticed that there
is a patch available for it).

- jEdit is too mouse-centric. When I have to use "Ctrl-hover" to get
some information, I won't use it.

- last time I checked, the 'abbreviation to unicode' conversion that
finally(!!) works great in PG, was somewhat unusable in jEdit.

> apart from old habits.

And this is also not to be underrated. Over the last two years, I have
compiled a 150 lines .emacs (and I'm only using Emacs for Isabelle) plus
some 'isabelle emacs' startup magic. Hence being urged to spend all this
time again to get the editor in a shape one likes, does not feel good.
Especially when there are NEWS items reading "you have to re-do all your
current jEdit keybinding customizations".

- René

[1] export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=gasp
-Dswing.aatext=true'

--
René Neumann

Institut für Informatik (I7)