Re: [isabelle] Remaining reasons for Proof General

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, René Neumann wrote:

Am 12.11.2013 16:37, schrieb Joachim Breitner:
Hi,

Am Montag, den 11.11.2013, 17:45 +0100 schrieb René Neumann:
- jEdit is SLOW, as in: There is a noticeable lag when moving
from one menu to the other per mouse (rendering also consumes 50%
to 100% of one CPU).

I just tried to switch to the GTK theme and it made the UI feel
much more sluggish. Maybe you can try the default Nimbus theme and
compare?

Yeah, I have switched to Nimbus here. It still is not the most
responsive UI, but it is in an acceptable range.

I usually use Nimbus -- it is a good compromise of performance vs. look-and-feel quality. GTK+ is not only slow, but has occasional dropouts, e.g. in ListView. The Color Picker is also not quite up-to-date -- lacking important tabs.

The really old Metal L&F is even faster and more reliable, but is a bit retro now.

The fastest L&F I've ever seen is native Windows, but native Mac OS X is also OK.