Re: [isabelle] [Isabelle2013-1 RC] Scalability problem with re-entrant build of the whole distribution

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Gerwin Klein wrote:

I've just observed this effect below on the old Isabelle2013 on MacOS (Mavericks).

I still have no idea what got java so upset, but after a plain reboot everything worked just fine as usual with the default values.

Last year or so some people running really big JVM jobs on x86_64 had problems that were not there on x86. That was Linux and the solution was do install 32bit libraries and use the x86 version of the JVM, but this does not work on Mac OS X since JDK is x86_64 only.

Another possibility is to use the more recent jdk-7u40 from Isabelle2013-1 for Isabelle2013, which still has jdk-7u13. Oracle actually did some significant work in the meantime, so the situation might be generally better. (Some people have already noticed that the current jdk-7u40 no longer works with Snow Leopard.)