Re: [isabelle] bit vs. bool in HOL-Word

> * Concerning Bit.thy – this is something separate, a formalisation of
> the Z2 field actually.  It stand aparat, and references of the Word
> theories to bit should be replaced by bool.
>
> * Concerning bit operations – these should use bool uniformly.  Both
> explicit list conversions and implicit structural operation like
> test_bit and set_bit are relevant for user space. _ BIT _ is a historic
> accident.  The idea is to clearly separate the bit operations into
> separate HOL-Library theories, to make them properly available for
> applications which do not need words but bits.

See now

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/~haftmann/cgi-bin/repos/bit_bool/
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/~haftmann/cgi-bin/repos/bit_bool_afp/

where bool replaces bit as digit type throughout.

I invite users with heavy applications of the Word library to check this
first before bringing it upstream.

Happy proving,
	Florian

--