Re: [isabelle] 0::'a

Am 18/11/2013 12:12, schrieb Makarius:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
>
>> In ProofGeneral, numerals of type 'a are explicitly flagged with their type in
>> the output. It is an incredibly useful little feature, not just but in
>> particular for novices. Which is why we introduced it.
>
> I introduced that feature many years ago, and even the idea to make a constraint
> as "inlined warning" to give it the proper syntactic context. (An explicit
> warning message within syntax translations technically does not work, even
> today, and even though I've seen this occasionally in other syntax translations
> over the years.)
>

>> Any reason not to have it with jedit as well?
>
> You mean Isabelle/jEdit, or rather the Isabelle/Scala document model behind it;
> jEdit is just a plain text editor.

You may observe that I intentionally wrote "with jedit" (rather than, eg, "in
jedit"). The word "with" indicates a contextual dependence, just like in Isar.
Anybody on this mailing list will immediately deduce from my previous mention of
PG that I am talking about the user interface to Isabelle. This is known as
natural language. Luckily you had no problem to follow it, as the rest of your
email clearly shows.

Tobias