Re: [isabelle] Stray processes on Windows

On 26.11.2013 11:50, Makarius wrote:
> Process management according to POSIX only allows flat (non-nested)
> process groups and asynchronous (unacknowledged) signals to kill another
> process.  To give the appearance of managed hierarchies of processes,
> the Isabelle framework implements certain common-sense heuristics that
> usually work, but implicitly depend on a reasonable degree of reactivity.

I recently learned that recent linux kernels (>=3.4) allow setting the
PR_SET_CHILD_SUBREAPER flag on a process. Basically this means that all
(indirect) children of this process will be reparented to it instead of
PID 1, when their parent dies.

So this would allow better management of processes, but is of course not
yet very portable. I would be willing to investigate this further, if
there is any interest in that.

   -- Lars