On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, bnord wrote:

I still could get the Isabelle interaction to 'freeze' after continuously editing after a non-terminating "by (intro TrueE)" for about 30 seconds. So the situation is greatly improved compared to RC1. I then waited for about 5 minutes without any change, then after removing the non-terminating command it required waiting about 2 minutes until the command was finally interrupted and interaction came back.

As long as it comes back eventually, it is not fully frozen. And hopefully, there is not another serious problem waiting at the bottom of it.

I've experimented myself a bit with (intro TrueE): after several seconds, when the process exceeds 1-2 GB heap size, it takes really long to react on interrupts. This is probably due to garbage collection and value sharing of Poly/ML, trying to catch up with this non-terminating allocation process.