Re: [isabelle] Dealing with lets in Isar

Hi Christian,

I don't completely understand why this is related to let. A let just introduces an abbreviation. However, in your example, you are more concerned with patterns such as tuples, but

  let (x, y) = e in f x y

is syntactic sugar for

  Let e (prod_case (%x y. f x y))

So, do you also want to introduce variables if there's no pattern-matching involved, such that "P (let x = e in f x)" gets transformed into "!!x. x = e ==> P (f x)"?

In principle, you can use Isabelle's splitter:

lemma Let_prod_split_asm:
  "P (Let e (prod_case f)) = (~ (EX x y. (x, y) = e & ~ P (f x y)))"
by(auto simp add: Let_def prod.split_asm)

lemma Let_split_asm: "P (Let e f) = (~ (EX x. x = e & ~ P (f x)))"
by(auto simp add: Let_def)

lemma
  assumes "P (let (x, y) = e1; (u, v) = e2; (w, k) = e3 in f x y u v w k)"
  shows "thesis"
using assms
apply -
proof(split Let_prod_split_asm Let_split_asm)+
  case (goal1 x y u v w k)

With some ML programming, it should be easy to make this more readable.

Hope this helps,
Andreas