[isabelle] Isabelle2013-1-RC1 available for testing

Dear Isabelle users,

the Isabelle2013-1 release is scheduled for November 2013. Before actual lift-off we have approx. 5 weeks of public testing of release candidates.

See https://bitbucket.org/isabelle_project/isabelle-release for the main website where this is organized. There is also a link to an issue tracker on the same Bitbucket site.

The website with downloads etc. is http://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2013-1-RC1

Observations from testing release candidates may be discussed here on isabelle-users (not isabelle-dev), on the bitbucket tracker, or via private mail.

Active participation in testing is important to iron out small problems, and raise the overall quality of the system for everybody. There is a particular challenge to make all platforms work smoothly: Linux, Windows, Mac OS X. The Isabelle quality standards and user expectations have continously increased in recent years, while all major operating system vendors and distributors are on a slight downwards curve.

The time to sort out issues is now. Note that I will myself be on vacation from 17-Oct to 04-Nov and make the final launch afterwards. In the meantime we have time for 2-3 release candidates.