On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Christian Sternagel wrote:

- Sidekick (I have no clue... I never use it myself; could somebody enlighten me about its use cases?)

This is a regular jEdit plugin. The Plugin Manager provides the following blurb:

  The SideKick plugin provides a dockable window in which other plugins
  can display buffer structure in a tree view.

Thus it becomes the default tree view of various jEdit "modes". It is very easy to set up programmatically, but difficult to get further beyond its basic operations.

Did you notice already that the Isabelle NEWS file now has that as well? Just a few lines of Scala with some regexps to reconstruct a tree structure of our traditional text file layout.

In the longer run, I would like to see a specific tree (or graph) view on Isabelle theories -- all of them, not just one buffer.