Re: [isabelle] Isabelle 2013 @ Fedora 64bits

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Leo Freitas wrote:

The department improved all lab machines to become 64 bits, and now, after installing Isabelle again, support tells me they are getting this:

"
bash-4.2$ isabelle jedit

### Cannot execute Poly/ML in 32bit mode (missing shared libraries for C/C++)
### Using bulky 64bit version of Poly/ML instead

This is just a warning: it can be avoided by installing libc++ etc. for x86 -- I think Fedora calls this platform variant "i686".

/usr/local/Isabelle/2013/lib/Tools/java: line 6: /usr/local/Isabelle/2013/contrib/jdk-7u13/x86_64-linux/jdk1.7.0_13/bin/java: No such file or directory
"

The question here is what happended to contrib/jdk-7u13/x86_64-linux/jdk1.7.0_13 -- maybe that directory was just deleted by some admin guy.

In Isabelle2013 and Isabelle2013-1, the Linux bundles for Isabelle should work uniformly on x86 and x86_64. The difference is how Poly/ML is run, and which heap images are produced.

Also note that for this slightly old-fashioned scenario of central installation, the required logic images should be produced once after installation like this:

    /usr/local/Isabelle/2013/bin/isabelle build -b -s HOL

These days the success rate is much higher by letting students download and run the system directly on their own machines, and bypass "lab" machines.