On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, C. Diekmann wrote:

Is this Linux / Windows or Mac OS X?

Linux, Ubuntu

Which of its many versions?

For "Go to Recent Buffer" there is C-CIRCUMFLEX as alternative shortcut -- I am using this routinely on German Linux keyboard.

I see that C+` and C+^ are both defined but they don't work. I can't
even press C+^ or C+´ to install these shortcuts in jEdit. xev emits
events for these keys.

xev represents only one of many layers of X11 where keystrokes have to pass through to get eventually to the application. All this keyboard handling is a bit messed up on modern operating systems, and Linux is particularly critical.

The guy who still tries to get rid of decades of X11 legacy and turn it into better use as "Wayland" got a lot of resistance from traditionalists, and it still remains to be seen if this promising project will ever get to the point where Oracle might support it.

What counts for Java / Swing applications like Isabelle/jEdit can be seen in the KeyEventDemo from
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/events/keylistener.html

This little Java application is easy to compile with javac and run with "isabelle java" -- just to make sure you have exactly the same JRE.

jEdit then has its own filters (workarounds and "fixes" for odd and historic behaviour) that might cause extra problems.

I've just tried myself again as a freshly created test user on Xbuntu 13.04 and Isabelle2013-1-RC1 with factory default: C-CIRCUMFLEX and A-CIRCUMFLEX both work on my German Sony Vaio.