On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, C. Diekmann wrote:

For "Go to Recent Buffer" there is C-CIRCUMFLEX as alternative shortcut
-- I am using this routinely on German Linux keyboard.
I see that C+` and C+^ are both defined but they don't work. I can't
even press C+^ or C+´ to install these shortcuts in jEdit.

What counts for Java / Swing applications like Isabelle/jEdit can be seen in
the KeyEventDemo from
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/events/keylistener.html

This little Java application is easy to compile with javac and run with
"isabelle java" -- just to make sure you have exactly the same JRE.

ctrl+´ produces
   key code = 129 (Dead Acute)
ctrl+^ produces
   key code = 130 (Dead Circumflex)

These keys are treated as "dead" here, so it is understandable that they behave slightly differently than normal ones.

I have myself developed this reflex to choose "German no-dead keys" as Linux keymap already 15 years ago, so I could not imagine that the normal default *with* dead keys is actually active. My current Sony Vaio actually requires further bending and stretching of keyboard defaults via .Xmodmap to make it usable for me -- normally I try to avoid that.

Anyway, this might be a topic for the general jEdit mailing list at Sourceforge. Better international keyboard support has been started about one year ago, but it is still not quite finished.