>   * Explicit binary executable even for Linux -- modern desktops no longer
>     consider an executable script as executable to be clicked on.

Wouldn't it be easier to provide a *.desktop file instead?  (See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_Entries for documentation.)
 I think these are widely understood across Linux desktop environments.

Just a suggestion; I start Isabelle from the command line anyway.

Cheers,

Christoph

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701

→ Mathematics in Computer Science Special Issue on “Enabling Domain
  Experts to use Formalised Reasoning”; submission until 31 October.
  http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/pubs/mcs-doform/