On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Christoph LANGE wrote:

  * Explicit binary executable even for Linux -- modern desktops no longer
    consider an executable script as executable to be clicked on.

Wouldn't it be easier to provide a *.desktop file instead?  (See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_Entries for documentation.)
I think these are widely understood across Linux desktop environments.

I was trying that recently, but the freedesktop.org standardization committee does not support the idea of relative paths in .desktop specifications. See also http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2011-June/011992.html

Thus an application has to be globally installed on the system. It is just the old problem of many Linux communities of treating system software and application software as one and the same, with many problems coming from it.

Are you actually using Arch Linux yourself, or is the above URL just an accident? I am just trying to tick major Linux fractions as "tested", although for Arch everybody needs to start from scratch anyway in the selection of packages so it is hard to test anything once and for all.