On Tue, 8 Oct 2013, C. Diekmann wrote:

Same here, Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS, 64Bit, Unity (shame on me!)

I don't see a reason for being ashamed of Ubuntu classic. At least at 12.04 LTS it is still a fine system, but I've got many problems with 13.04, and 13.10 beta totally bombed my test installation. Right now I am glad to have Xubuntu 13.04 in a mostly stable state on my main machine.

All the social pressure against recent moves of Canonical have lead to further steps towards the degradation of major Linux distributions. The Linux Mint fork of Ubuntu is particularly bad -- first they claim to support Java better out of the box, then they make it all very weak, with standard problems of X11 window managers against Java AWT that Open JDK insiders already know for years.