Re: [isabelle] *.desktop entries and Arch packages [Re: Isabelle2013-1-RC2 available for testing]

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Christoph LANGE wrote:

I'm using Gentoo Linux, but Arch Linux has an excellent online documentation, and therefore that Arch wiki entry was the first good reference I found on the *.desktop format.

I am just trying to tick major Linux fractions as "tested", although for Arch everybody needs to start from scratch anyway in the selection of packages so it is hard to test anything once and for all.

What do you mean? I thought that Isabelle, given its very specific Java and jEdit dependencies, does not integrate well with package managers anyway (i.e. maintainers can't easily provide an Isabelle package, which would depend on some version of the distribution's Java and jEdit packages), and that therefore the recommended way is to unzip the all-in-one download, which brings its own dependencies. Which is what I do (even though, in principle, I'd like the "package" approach better) – and I haven't had any problems on Gentoo so far.

OK, so I make a mental "tick" for Gentoo.

Note that the Isabelle "dependencies" are not very specific, we are just trying to get things as stable as possible for end-users.

There is a fundamental flaw in the model of classic package management: it makes equivalence classes of components of the same base name: "java", "jedit", "polyml" etc. and does not support precise dependencies on particular versions, or depencies on particular configurations of certain software components, or multiple such configurations at the same time without interfering.

At the start of the Isabelle/PIDE and Isabelle/jEdit project I was much more naive about that, and was still supporting the idea that the user provides *some* JDK via his base system, but no JDK is equaivalent to any other one, not even of the very same version number. The same for other contributing components, although to a lesser degree.

Historically, Proof General never got rock solid for everyone, because it was impossible to bundle a particular version of Emacs -- both for technical and social reasons. Isabelle/jEdit makes the critical cut at a different boundary, and by bundling exactly one JDK the dimensions of the problem space are much reduced.