Re: [isabelle] *.desktop entries and Arch packages [Re: Isabelle2013-1-RC2 available for testing]

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Christoph LANGE wrote:

There is a fundamental flaw in the model of classic package management:

Good that you added "classic", …

it makes equivalence classes of components of the same base name:
"java", "jedit", "polyml" etc. and does not support precise dependencies
on particular versions, or depencies on particular configurations of
certain software components, or multiple such configurations at the same
time without interfering.

… because Gentoo and some other distributions support all of these.

I am not sure about this. It depends both on technical side-conditions and the mindset of packagers.

Can I have many versions of the same application at the same time? Both for Isabelle and Coq, real users do this routinely, but the packagers don't support it. Even just getting a recent version of some application is a problem, without subscribing to some continous-update model of the operating system.

I acknowledge that this is a problem, and it probably can't be fixed, as the Oracle JDK is non-free.

This is another old argument, and the side-conditions have changed several times, sometimes this way sometimes that way. I still don't quite understand why Oracle JDK is called non-free.

Since someone claimed something else recently on some Heise forum, I've studied once again the license text: they mainly exclude changes to the official directory layout, which already explains why packagers don't like it. Oracle then also changed something recently that stops Linux distributors, probably due to bad experiences in the past.

If Oracle really becomes evil at some point, we will have to sit down to make our own shrink-wrapped compilation of OpenJDK.