Re: [isabelle] Incomplete goal may cause proof methods of later goals to loop.

You seem to be describing Proof General, which is still available for Isabelle, but no longer supported.

We have to live with the problems of a radically new interaction paradigm that’s still being fleshed out. Maple, for example, offers a superficially similar document model, but you can’t tell whether what you are looking at has been evaluated or not, and even Maple itself doesn’t seem to know. That approach is efficient but has many of its own limitations.

Larry Paulson