On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, bnord wrote:

 Are you sure that the proof commands that still referred to this
 non-existing fact were actually applied successfully?  I changed the error
 recovery recently, actually going back to some suggestions of yourself,
 but this change may now lead to some confusion.

No I wasn't sure just made the above observations. But I figured this one out now, just noticed that for long documents the bar on the right (whatever you call it) doesn't display markers for the whole document but only for some part. You have to scroll through the whole document after processing it to see whether there are any markers. This isn't what one is used to from other editors with such a feature.

That is called "text overview". There is an Isabelle plugin option "Text Overview Limit" with a default of 65536. You can probably use the double of that on your machine, without significant slowdown of real-time update and painting.