Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2014-RC2: PIDE does not resume processing

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014, Makarius wrote:
Looking at the results, I would say there is a deadlock in the main Document.update operation -- as you have pointed out earlier that the CPU use of the poly process is 0.

That conclusion is actually too quick, because it is in conflict with the following observation:

  > The Prover.echo command still works.

On the other hand ...

  > There are no exceptions in the shell from which I have started PIDE.

but the latter refers to JVM exceptions.

If Prover.echo still works after the greyout, the protocol thread is alive and not dead-locked. The abrupt end of the syslog after Document.update could also mean that it just crashed, but then we need to see ML exceptions on Raw Output. The latter is unbuffered, though. Did you have Raw Output open *before* the incident?